Monday, May 24, 2010

Autodesk Homestyler

I was a bit weary of the free, DIY, home design/architectural sites that are offered online.  But, when my friend sent me a link to Autodesk Homestyler, I thought I'd give it a try.

It is actually pretty user friendly and there is no software to download.  It is kind of like Polyvore, where you just drag and click your ideas over to a "board" and save it to an online account.  I have to go back and check the measurements because the rooms seem a bit off scale.

I spent a lot of the day yesterday playing around with some of our future rooms.  Here is the 1st Floor Study/Guest Room:



You can also see a 3D version of the room with one click of the button:



The product list leaves something to be desired, but you can still get the basic idea.  I wish there was an insert text box option so you could type in what everything is.  The long closet on the back wall will actually be a murphy bed.  Hopefully our contractor will build something prettier than this:


And the small box to the right of it will house the Ms. Pac-Man machine.  After 3 years of trying to figure out what to do with it/how to decorate around it, she finally has a home!  I sure learned my lesson with this purchase, but it was such a great gift to my husband that I'd do it all over again.

There will be built-ins along the wall where it looks like floating chairs.  The chairs indicate where the workspace will be for both of us.  I CAN'T WAIT to finally have a desk!  I've been calling the dining room table home for too long now.

The 2nd Floor Nursery will look something like this. 


This room was tricky because we had to add a bathroom without taking up too much of the livable space.  We knew we'd need a tub to be kid-friendly and resale friendly.  And we had to be able to fit a queen size bed in there eventually.  It may look like you can fit the queen bed between the windows where the crib is (anyone else find it odd that the crib has a pillow?), but we taped it out on the floor and there was zero clearance for walking.  Believe me, we tried.....so, the closet (to the left of the entryway) now houses a window.  Perhaps a big design no-no, but what can you do?  

Have you ever experimented with free, online, design tool like this?  If so, send some other suggestions.  This is fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment